Lampwrights Forum

Lampwrights Forum (http://www.lampwrights.com/index.php)
-   vBulletin Wordpress Bridge (http://www.lampwrights.com/forumdisplay.php?f=13)
-   -   Question of new Wordpress Bridge vs Old one (http://www.lampwrights.com/showthread.php?t=42)

woox 01-20-2011 12:23 PM

Question of new Wordpress Bridge vs Old one

Hello Jeff, Long awaiting for an update from this plugin. Just a few questions...

What features is THIS plugin lacking compared to the older one? (for example are posts made in WP still ported to VB?)

And if we have the older version installed - can we simply overwrite the files with the new version?

Thanks

Jeff 01-20-2011 12:59 PM

Users were completely bridged in the old version, meaning once you activated the bridge, users who were admins in VB, could access the WP admin CP. This no longer the case.

A post made in WP is not automatically posted to a forum anymore.

I think that is about it really.

woox 01-20-2011 01:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jeff (Post 76)
Users were completely bridged in the old version, meaning once you activated the bridge, users who were admins in VB, could access the WP admin CP. This no longer the case.

A post made in WP is not automatically posted to a forum anymore.

I think that is about it really.

Ah ok...could you possible release the source code for your old version so I can hire someone to make changes to your OLD version of mod then? (I would like to fix some issues with it on posting).

Jeff 01-20-2011 01:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by woox (Post 78)
Ah ok...could you possible release the source code for your old version so I can hire someone to make changes to your OLD version of mod then? (I would like to fix some issues with it on posting).

Here you go! :)

http://www.lampwrights.com/showthread.php?t=44

thisbuzz 01-22-2011 03:17 AM

Hi Jeff .. will the new vBridge for 3.8 and 3.04 ever go towards use on the MU

I know you have said it would never be with the old vbridge but was wondering whether the change with wp3 changed that stance, please?

Thanks

G

Jeff 01-22-2011 07:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by thisbuzz (Post 103)
Hi Jeff .. will the new vBridge for 3.8 and 3.04 ever go towards use on the MU

I know you have said it would never be with the old vbridge but was wondering whether the change with wp3 changed that stance, please?

Thanks

G

I am not sure yet. Since WP 3.0 has integrated many of the same features as MU (in fact they have merged no?) it may be possible.

thisbuzz 01-22-2011 07:38 AM

Wordpress is moving in a great direction and the plugins are following suit .. I went off vB after the attitude shown with 4's launch and while I still have vB forums I have moved to embracing WP .. WP3 was a major milestone and with their forum plugins improving (SimplePress for instance) vB is dead and buried for me

so the MU for vbridge would be grand as I have stuck with up to 3.8

Thanks for your time

MissKalunji 02-06-2011 09:37 AM

HI!

any plans to "automatically" post WP into the VB Forum in the future :)?

Just wondering, love the new plugins btw.

thisbuzz 02-06-2011 09:58 AM

you could currently achieve this by using vB's built is RSS Feed Manager to post to forums

Quote:

Originally Posted by MissKalunji (Post 146)
HI!

any plans to "automatically" post WP into the VB Forum in the future :)?

Just wondering, love the new plugins btw.

MissKalunji 02-06-2011 11:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by thisbuzz (Post 147)
you could currently achieve this by using vB's built is RSS Feed Manager to post to forums

Oh I didn't think of that...

MissKalunji 02-06-2011 11:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by thisbuzz (Post 147)

But the comments would not be merge then?

When someone post in WP, would it show in VB?

what about when someone post comment in VB would it show in WP?

Jeff 02-06-2011 06:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MissKalunji (Post 149)
But the comments would not be merge then?

When someone post in WP, would it show in VB?

what about when someone post comment in VB would it show in WP?

I am not sure if I am adding that functionality. I find it leads to duplicate content issues and is so prone to breaking after upgrades.

MissKalunji 02-06-2011 06:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jeff (Post 151)
I am not sure if I am adding that functionality. I find it leads to duplicate content issues and is so prone to breaking after upgrades.

Good point. I guess i'll have to choose between both.....

dlx 02-09-2011 09:30 AM

That would be very nice that the articles wp create a post on vbulletin with the link to the original article, so it does not create duplicate content issues

Dlx

dlx 02-09-2011 12:21 PM

Alternatively we can use a canonical page.
Code:

<link rel="canonical" href="http://www.example.com/product.php?item=swedish-fish"/>

A canonical page is the preferred version of a set of pages with highly similar content.

http://www.google.com/support/webmas...&answer=139394

Dlx

wacnstac 02-17-2011 11:34 AM

I have two questions.

1. Why did you migrate from the old bridge that was on vb.org? Are there new features in this one?

2. Would this bridge work with a multi-site installation of WP. i.e. multiple domain's homepages powered by one WP installation, that have separate vb forums on their domains.

Jeff 02-17-2011 12:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wacnstac (Post 220)
1. Why did you migrate from the old bridge that was on vb.org? Are there new features in this one?

The version would not work properly with the latest version of WP. We have rebuilt this one from the bottom up. (more info)

Quote:

Originally Posted by wacnstac (Post 220)
2. Would this bridge work with a multi-site installation of WP. i.e. multiple domain's homepages powered by one WP installation, that have separate vb forums on their domains.

I am not sure if it will or not. It was not designed with that in mind.

Tomahoochi 02-18-2011 11:24 PM

I have been using the 2.06 version of the old bridge since I started my site, so when VB users visited a WP page, a WP account was automatically created for them. Since all existing users have a WP login as well as a VB one, will that clash with this new version since WP users can't comment on articles?

Jeff 02-19-2011 07:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tomahoochi (Post 242)
I have been using the 2.06 version of the old bridge since I started my site, so when VB users visited a WP page, a WP account was automatically created for them. Since all existing users have a WP login as well as a VB one, will that clash with this new version since WP users can't comment on articles?

It would clash yes.

Tomahoochi 02-19-2011 09:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jeff (Post 244)
It would clash yes.

Is there any way around this? Deleting the WP user database? Since the old bridge was always present, WP profiles do not exist, users were always sent right to VB to log in.