Lampwrights Forum > Linux, Apache, MySQL, PHP > PHP

08-05-2010, 09:41 AM   #1
Jeff
Administrator

Jeff is getting browny points
Finding functions

I find a lot of times I have to debug scripts that I am not very familiar with and it requires a bit of search & stepping. Invariably I find that I have to locate a function to find out how it is manipulating data or other operations. Some of these scripts are composed of hundreds of different files and can make this a bit tedious. Here is where grep is your friend! Say you are looking for the function hide_Password. Navigate to the directory via the command line (Linux) and type:

Code:
grep "function hide_Password" ./*
And it will search all the files for that phrase. You can even do a recursive grep like this:

Code:
grep -r "function hide_Password" ./*
and it will search all the directories inside the current working directory. This will save your HOURS of searching!
Jeff is offline   Reply With Quote

12-09-2010, 05:41 AM   #2
kajara23

The “grep” really looks like a savior when it comes to helping us to find all the directories inside a working directory!! I actually had this problem a couple of times where I had to spend hours trying to debug the scripts which made absolutely no sense to me!! Thanks for sharing this will be really useful for me!!

Tags

php how-to

troubleshooting php