Lampwrights Forum > Other Stuff > vBulletin Wordpress Bridge

01-21-2011, 01:54 PM   #1
kpmedia

kpmedia is getting browny points
WP roles integrate with vB usergroups?

Is the new bridge able to translate WP roles -- using a plugin like this: http://wordpress.org/extend/plugins/role-scoper/ -- into vB usergroups?

For example, if I set up a site where there are free and paid members (maybe even 2-3 levels of paid members), using the vB payments system, and each role has specific permission to view "members only" posts in WP.

Can this work?
kpmedia is offline   Reply With Quote

01-21-2011, 01:56 PM   #2
Jeff
Administrator

Jeff is getting browny points
Quote:
Originally Posted by kpmedia View Post
Is the new bridge able to translate WP roles -- using a plugin like this: http://wordpress.org/extend/plugins/role-scoper/ -- into vB usergroups?

For example, if I set up a site where there are free and paid members (maybe even 2-3 levels of paid members), using the vB payments system, and each role has specific permission to view "members only" posts in WP.

Can this work?
Well you can map usergroups. So you can map say the adminstrators user group to the adminstrators WP user group. How that will work with roles I am not sure.

The integration does not make any changes to database settings for users, nor does it add or remove them. You should be fine to test it.
Jeff is offline   Reply With Quote
01-21-2011, 02:02 PM   #3
kpmedia

Well, I guess the only way to find out is to give it a test.
Either way, I'll report back (may be a few weeks).
02-20-2011, 03:08 AM   #4
kpmedia

Just as an update to this...

WordPress by itself worked fine with roles.
I could set permissions using the 'Members' plugin, and shortcodes from Justin Tadlock
http://wordpress.org/extend/plugins/members/
http://justintadlock.com/archives/20...s-only-content

Once the bridge, is active, however...

The "member" and "visitor" shortcodes still work, while the "access" ones do not.
Content between "access" codes is simply hidden.
The bridge doesn't seem to understand capabilities or roles fully.

Not sure where the error lies...
02-20-2011, 05:30 PM   #5
Jeff
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by kpmedia View Post
Just as an update to this...

WordPress by itself worked fine with roles.
I could set permissions using the 'Members' plugin, and shortcodes from Justin Tadlock
http://wordpress.org/extend/plugins/members/
http://justintadlock.com/archives/20...s-only-content

Once the bridge, is active, however...

The "member" and "visitor" shortcodes still work, while the "access" ones do not.
Content between "access" codes is simply hidden.
The bridge doesn't seem to understand capabilities or roles fully.

Not sure where the error lies...
If you mean why this will not work with another plugin, I am afraid I cannot really help you there.
02-20-2011, 07:38 PM   #6
kpmedia

Well, the plugins only gives you access to the pre-existing WordPress defaults for roles and capabilities, allowing you to edit or expland them. The plugin isn't creating anything that's not already part of WordPress.

(Somewhat unrelated side note: The vBBridge shares some variable names with Rolescoper, so the two can't co-exist. I have to use the alternative Members plugin to access roles/capabilities easily.)

I believe vBBridge is somehow blocking the ability for WordPress to make if/then decisions based on user roles and capabilities. It appears to be the case. Shortcodes that determine if content can be displayed, based on user role or capability, is ignored. Only 'logged in' vs 'not logged in' shortcodes are working. For some scenarios, that's not granular enough.

How does the bridge translate the vbusergroup to the wp_role+wp_capabilities? I don't think 100% of the role data is being passed to the comparable vB map.
02-21-2011, 08:38 AM   #7
Jeff
Administrator

Other than mapping the user groups, the bridge does not touch roles that much.

Please note, once you enter the WP admincp, the vbridge basically deactivates except for vbbridge settings and user settings. So regardless what perms you give someone, they will never be able to access anything in the WP admincp. I hope to add this functionality soon, just time is limited at the moment.
02-24-2011, 04:23 AM   #8
kpmedia

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff View Post
Other than mapping the user groups, the bridge does not touch roles that much. Please note, once you enter the WP admincp, the vbridge basically deactivates except for vbbridge settings and user settings. So regardless what perms you give someone, they will never be able to access anything in the WP admincp. I hope to add this functionality soon, just time is limited at the moment.
I'm actually not wanting the bridge to allow access to wp-admin -- what I seek is the ability to control who can or cannot read posts, by limiting read access, which is based on either role or capabilities. It works fine in WordPress alone, but when the bridge is activated, it does not. Not even for the WP admin account.

Something is either blocking and/or ignoring roles and capabilities. I know that vB usergroups have been mapped over, but maybe not enough date is getting through? Not enough mapping of the user roles? (These are my best guesses at the moment.)

Tags

vbulletin wordpress bridge